Google Launching New Version Of Page Speed Insights soon.
Recently Google announced the new version of the page speed insight tool which will look more modern and help readers to digest the data more easily.
As you know page speed insight is a hot tool for Bloggers and SEOs due to the recent core web vitals (CWV) update. CWV is now an Official ranking factor and maintaining a good score on Mobile devices is quite challenging.
Google is trying to solve some of the biggest challenges in the current versions. The main problem in Page speed insight (PSI) is how the data is presented to the users.
There is no clear separation between lab data and field data in the report. People who are new to this tool are not able to understand the context properly and you will find a lot of how-to guides on this topic.
That's why Google is trying hard to simplify the page speed report, so all users can easily understand it.
The current version of the page speed insight tool is around 10 years old and Google says it’s time for a redesign.
With the latest update which will roll out later this year, Google hopes to present the report in an easier format to the developers.
The primary goal behind this update is
- Make the UI more intuitive by differentiating between lab data and field data
- Clearly communicate how the Core Web Vitals assessment is calculated in the UI.
- Modernize the look and feel of PSI, leveraging Material Design.
Updates Coming to Google PageSpeed Insights
Here are the complete list of updates that are coming to the page speed insight tool.
- Clear separation of field and lab data: The UI will change to distinctly separate field data from lab data. Labels for "Field Data" and "Lab data" have been replaced with text that indicates what the data means and how it can help
- Core Web Vitals assessment: Now the page speed insight tool is showing the result as passed and failed, which will stand out as a separate subsection with a distinct icon.
- Labels for mobile and desktop performance: The labels for mobile and desktop in the navigation are moving to the center.
- Origin Summary: Google is moving this report section to a new tab, “Origin”, under the Field Data section.
- Expand view: A new “expand view” feature adds a function to the field data section that allows users to view granular details for the Core Web Vitals metrics.
- Page image: Google is removing the image of the loaded page from its current location, which is next to the field data. The image and thumbnails will both be available in the lab data section.
Additional helpful information
- Data collection period
- Visit durations
- Network connections
- Sample size
- Chrome versions
This additional data will make the distinction between lab and field data more clearly which was earlier create confusion in the users.
There is no particular date of the new update in page speed insight but Google will share further updates as it gets closer to launch time.
Google is also planning to get updates to the web.dev/measure which is a similar tool like PSI.
What is your thought about the new update, are you excited about this or not, do let me know in the comment section.